Important School News

1 / 3

October Half Term Revision Sessions - For a full list of our October half term revision sessions, please click here - Read More

Report
Department Image

Subject News

Food technology muffin bake winners

26/06/17

Food technology students impress the judge with unique and delicious muffins.

Read More

Technology Subjects

"Our great weakness lies in giving up. The most certain why to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

Student View

"I love how technology is so different and it gives you a chance to be creative" - Year 8 student​

"You can always learn from your mistakes in technology. It is always the most fun lesson of all." - Year 8 student​

"The North School has sparked my interest in engineering as a career." - Year 13 student

 

Overview

Welcome to the technology department at The North School. It is here that our students are encouraged to be forward thinkers and challenge themselves with designing and producing unique products in both design technology and food technology.

Students have the opportunity to work with a range of tools, processes, equipment, materials and ingredients and with these they produce food and practical products that they can be proud of.

We work toward developing a range of skills for our students with our main focus being on understanding theory, practical skills, investigating and problem-solving among many others. At key stage three students complete project based work in order to work toward developing these skills. In year 7 and 8, we work on a rotation system whereby each student spends half of the academic year in design technology and the other half of the year in food technology. In year 9, the students then have the opportunity to opt into the subject area that they enjoy the most and study this area for a full year in order to allow them to develop their skills and deepen their interests further. The students can then go on to study catering, graphic products or resistant materials at GCSE level.

 

Contact – [email protected]

Examination

Key Stage 4

There are 3 subjects on offer at GCSE level.

Catering

This course is under the WJEC exam board. The course is assessed through both coursework and a written exam. Coursework is worth 60% of the final grade and the written exam which is sat at the end of year 11 is worth the remaining 40%.

Graphics

This course is under the Edexcel exam board. The course is assessed through both coursework and a written exam. Coursework is worth 60% of the final grade and the written exam which is sat at the end of year 11 is worth the remaining 40%.

Resistant materials.

This course is under the WJEC exam board. The course is assessed through both coursework and a written exam. Coursework is worth 60% of the final grade and the written exam which is sat at the end of year 11 is worth the remaining 40%.

Key Stage 5

Engineering is offered at A-level. This course is fully assessed based on coursework and controlled assessments.

Extra-curricular/OSL opportunities

After school OSL sessions are offered in the department for GCSE students in order to give them an opportunity to catch up with and make improvements to coursework, take part in revision sessions and work in small support groups with members of staff.

The subjects run on the following afternoons:

Graphic products – Tuesday.

Resistant materials – Thursday.

Catering – Friday.