Welcome to The North School, where we believe high expectations and a focus on achievement help us develop happy, confident learners who are supported, encouraged and inspired to reach their full potential.
As headteacher, I am proud of the way our students, staff, parents and carers create a community that supports our goal of ensuring students leave school with the right skills, appropriate qualifications and good grades.
My mission is to ensure that every member of that community is ‘putting achievement first’ and helping young people prepare for a productive and rewarding adult life.
Our experienced and committed staff, supported by our strong partnership with the Swale Academies Trust, work tirelessly to ensure students achieve the highest possible standards academically, socially and morally and build on our recent successes.
We have a traditional ethos that believes students need high quality teaching and a calm, positive learning environment, which is why we have extremely high expectations for behaviour both inside and outside the classroom.
Communities and the curriculum
Our school is made up of three communities that put the student at the heart of everything we do.
Essella, Mabledon and the Sixth Form are each supported by a dedicated team of teachers and support staff that create an effective platform that underpins each student’s progress and well-being.
While our aim of ‘putting achievement first’ ensures we prepare students for their exams, our curriculum is focused on delivering more general knowledge and on supporting the spiritual, cultural and moral development of the young people in our care.
In academic subjects, students are set according to ability so that we can give them the best and most appropriate support. We offer a range of exam options to cater for different interests, abilities and learning styles, with a grammar stream that allows higher-ability students to meet their aspirations and your expectations as parents.
Values and Ethos
The North School recognises that people have different strengths and interests and we aim to give individuals the opportunity to develop those further where possible.
We expect students to have high expectations of themselves, to share our aim of ‘putting achievement first’ and to commit to the school’s values,
As a school we value:
- Challenge: Everyone is expected to do their best, never settle for second best and show a determination to achieve high standards in whatever they do
- Respect: The school upholds each individual’s right to learn and respects different views, opinions and beliefs; showing kindness and consideration towards others is a baseline
- Resilience: We understand that long-term success requires perseverance, quality improvements to students’ work and the ability to learn from mistakes
- Community: We believe that being part of the school community makes us stronger; caring for each other and supporting our local community helps us achieve our very best. We learn together, we celebrate together and we support each other through challenges.
- Leadership: The school believes that the voice of students and the leadership they show should play a significant part in the life of The North School.
Thank you for taking the time to visit our website. There is no better way to get a sense of what are the important features of the school than by visiting us. Should you wish to arrange an informal visit or require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Head of School